Bean and Quinoa Bowls
- 1 unripened plantain (about 6 oz), peeled and sliced crosswise into ⅛-inch slices
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- ¾ tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano flakes
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1 5-oz BPA-free can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Pinch sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add plantains to sheet. Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil and toss with plantains. Sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt. Spread in an even layer on sheet. Bake, flipping halfway, until golden brown and crisp around edges, about 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare quinoa according to package directions, using ¼ tsp salt. Fluff with a fork, cover, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on medium, heat remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil. Add bell pepper and onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans, 1 cup water and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Prepare sauce: In a blender, blend all sauce ingredients until smooth. Divide quinoa among bowls. Top with bean mixture, mango, avocado, tomatoes and plantain chips. Drizzle with sauce before serving.