- 1 ripe banana, mashed (the riper/spottier the better)
- 2 heaping tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground flax (optional, see note)
- For garnish: soaked almonds, pepita seeds, hemp hearts, cinnamon, toasted coconut, nut butter, spices (cinnamon, ginger, allspice)
- The night before: Grab a medium bowl and mash the banana until smooth. Now stir in the chia, oats, cinnamon, milk, and water until combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning: Scoop the oat mixture into a medium pot. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat immediately to medium-low, and stir frequently until heated throughout and thickened. At the end of cooking, stir in flax, if using.
- Pour oats into bowl. Garnish with your desired toppings.
- The ground flax is optional because it creates a bit of a strange texture (almost like a flax egg) in this oatmeal. If you think you will mind it, just leave it out or sprinkle some ground flax on top instead.