- 1 cucumber, peeled (halved lengthwise, seeded and shredded)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups plain greek yogurt
- 6 scallions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 shallot, minced
- Toss cucumber with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let drain in fine mesh strainer for 15 minutes. Combine drained cucumber, 3/4 cup yogurt, 2 tbsp scallions, and 1 tbsp cilantro in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Pulse chickpeas in food processor to coarse puree with few large pieces remaining.
- Whisk eggs, oil, garam masala, cayenne, and 1/8 tbsp salt together in medium bowl.
- Stir in processed chickpeas, panko, shallot, remaining 1/2 cup yogurt, remaining scallions, and remaining 3 tbsp cilantro until just combined.
- Divide chickpea mixture into 6 equal portions and lightly pack into 1-inch thick patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Carefully lay 3 patties in hot skillet. Cook until set up and well browned on first side, 4-5 minutes. Gently flip patties. Cook until golden on second side, 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer cakes to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Return empty skillet to medium heat and repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and remaining patties.
- Serve with cucumber-yogurt sauce.
- Enjoy 🙂